March 1, 2017

Japanese Grammar Plug and Play
Japanese Lesson #89

Verb(Base I) + ZU NI IRARENAI
"I can't help but verb."

Today's Japanese grammar lesson makes use of Japanese verbs in Base I[1]. Verbs in base I always end with the syllable a (Pronounced aw as in awful, or awesome).

We could think of verbs in Base I as stem extenders to the negative states or conditions of Japanese verbs. Verbs in Base I are usually followed by the stem extender NAI, which can be compared and even equated to the English term "not".

For example, in English, we say that we can do something or we can not do something, or we say that we will do something, or, we will not do something.

As verbs in Base III tend toward the affirmative, verbs in Base I, tend toward the negative.

The verb to be able to or DEKIRU in base III is positive affirmative while DEKINAI, which is DEKIRU in base I + nai is not positive nor affirmative but negative.

Base I, a ending form of the verbs is for making the verbs not positive, not affirmative conditions.

DEKINAI is to CAN'T as DEKIRU is to CAN.

SHINAI is to WON'T DO as

SURU is to WILL DO.

Example

KANASHIKATTA NODE NAKAZU NI IRARENAI -
I was so sad, I couldn't help but cry.

NAKU - v. to cry in Base I, NAKA + ZU + NI IRARENAI

GAMAN DEKINAKUNATTA NODE KAERAZU NI IRARENAI -
It got so bad to where I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't help but go back home.

KAERU - v. to return home, to go back in Base I, KAERA +ZU NI IRARENAI

TAIHEN BYOKI NI NATTA NODE, HAKIDASAZU NI IRARENAI -
I got so sick, I couldn't help but throw-up.

HAKIDASU - v. to throw up, vomit, spit out in Base

I, HAKIDASA + ZU NI IRARENAI

KIITE ITA ONGAKU WA SUGOKU YOKATTA NODE, ODORAZU NI IRARENAI -
The music was we were listening to was so good, I couldn't help but dance.

ODORU - v. To dance in Base I, ODORAZU + ZU NI IRARENAI

There you have it! Another Japanese plug and play grammar principle you can use to add to your arsenal of Japanese language weaponry, which, depending on your commitment to the task of Japanese language learning, can take you yet another step further in your quest towards better Japanese.

As Always,
Ganbatte Ne!
Do Your Best!
Makurasuki